top of page

Parent of an Irish Child

If you are the parent of an Irish citizen child, you may be eligible for permission to remain in Ireland on this basis. All applications for permission to remain as the parent of an Irish citizen child are examined on a case-by-case basis.


For more information about permission based on the parentage of an Irish citizen child and how to renew that permission, please read below.

Table of Content:


Relocating to a new country often means leaving close friends and family behind. However, via the Long Term ‘D’ (Join Family) Visa route, certain immediate family members are able to move to Ireland as a ‘dependent’ of the family member who is living in the State already or who plans on moving to the State for whatever reason. The ‘Long Term’ branch of this visa is applicable to those who intend on residing in the State for longer than 3 months.

Although in most circumstances it is an automatic right to be with your offspring, your child must be dependent of you and under the age of 18 to successfully join you in Ireland. 23-year old dependents may also apply to join but they must be in full-time education. Parents can be either an Irish citizen, an EEA national or a non-EEA national who is residing in the State on another visa such as a Work Visa or Spouse Visa, for example.

How to apply?

If you are the parent of an Irish citizen child, you may be eligible for permission to remain in Ireland on this basis.

  1. If you have entered Ireland on a valid “D Reside Parent of an Irish Citizen child” visa, you must make an appointment with the Registration Office and attend in the presence of your Irish child to have this permission registered.​

  2. If you have an existing permission registered in the State i.e. (Stamp 1, 1A, 1G, 1H, 2, 2A, 3, 4) – you may renew this permission online with sufficient documentation provided.​

  3. If you do not hold a valid immigration permission or are on a short stay ‘C’ visa, you must complete the parent of Irish citizen child application form and submit it, with all the required documentation, to the Department of Justice. Please note that incomplete application forms will not be processed and will be returned.


You may be eligible if:

  • You are the biological parent of an Irish citizen child

  • Your Irish citizen child is residing full time in Ireland

  • You are involved in the upbringing of your Irish citizen child (emotionally or financially)

  • Your Irish citizen child is under the age of 18

  • You are named as the biological parent on your child’s birth certificate.

You must meet all of the above criteria to qualify for permission as the parent of an Irish citizen child.

Fast-Track Application

Track your application with the relevant department and liaise on your behalf.

Seamless Application Supports

Prepare files and manage immigration-related applications from start to finish for you.

Dedicated Account Manager

Access to the consultant on the phone for quick support without the barrier of a receptionist.

Fast Turnaround Time

Full-time focus to operate efficiently and effectively to deliver results on time.

Let us help with your application

We focus on delivering positive results to our clients and dedicate to offering quality services. 

An error occurred. Try again later

Thank you! Your request has been sent! One of our immigration experts will get back to you shortly.

Have questions?

Call us at +353 (01) 564 5342 or send us your request by filling in this form. One of our consultants reply shortly.


If you are successful, you will be granted a stamp four permission. Your permission will be for a duration of between six months and three years, depending on the circumstances of your case.

You must make an appointment with your local immigration office to register this permission.

You will receive a refusal letter from the department stating the reason for refusal. You can’t appeal the decision but could apply for permission again.

No, your application will not be accepted. You can only make this application if you are in Ireland. Suppose you require a visa to travel to Ireland and live outside Ireland. In that case, you need to apply for the correct visa, D – ‘reside parent of Irish citizen child’, to be allowed to seek entry to Ireland.

If you do not require a visa to travel to Ireland, you must request temporary permission to enter Ireland to make your application at the port of entry. You should then attend your local immigration office and apply for permission before this temporary permission expires.

No. You are not allowed to enter employment during the application process unless you already hold a permission which allows you to work in the State. You may seek an Employment Permit from the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

Yes. Permission to live and work in the State as the parent of a minor Irish citizen child, is granted only if you meet the qualifying criteria.

If after we have granted you permission, it is discovered that you have not met the qualifying criteria, or have provided false information, the Minister for Justice may revoke your permission. If no other permission exists, the Minister for Justice may seek to issue you with an intention to deport. The following list, which is not a complete list, is some of the types of information which may result in the Minister for Justice revoking your permission:

  • Information that shows that you have broken the conditions of your permission,

  • Information about your character or conduct (whether before or after you were granted permission), including criminal convictions,

  • Information which shows that you have failed to register your permission with your local immigration office as required by law,

  • Information that shows that you have provided misleading or inaccurate information to the Minister for Justice or to other authorities of the State.

Permission to live and work in the State as the parent of a minor Irish citizen child can be granted for a period of 6 months up to a maximum of 3 years.

The length of time you are granted will depend on a number of factors including; the role you have in the life of your Irish citizen child, your immigration history in the State etc. All applications are looked at on an individual basis.

bottom of page