top of page

Stamp 5

Immigration stamps enable non-EEA nationals to live, work, invest, do business, and study in Ireland. The stamps vary by number and are subject to conditions. Stamp 5 is also known as a permission without condition as to time.

Table of Content:


Stamp 5 is a permission that allows its holders to live and work in Ireland.

Stamp 5 permission means that you are allowed to live and work in Ireland without the need for an Employment Permit. It does not give you a right to any particular public service or funding. The relevant government Department or State agency makes this decision.

All intending applicants must have legal residence in Ireland to apply.

Conditions attached to Stamp 5

The following conditions apply to holders of Stamp 5 in Ireland. They must:

  • Obey the laws of Ireland.

  • Avoid involvment in any criminal activity.

  • Reside continuously in the state. Here, continuous residency implies living in Ireland for the period covered by the temporary permission to remain.However, the permit allow reasonable periods of absence from the State for holidays, exceptional family circumstances or commitments outside the State arising from business or employment carried out within the State.

  • Make every effort to be employed and not become an undue burden to the State.

  • Accept that the granted permission does not automatically gives persons related to them (such as family members) the right to enter or remain in Ireland.


The following stamps can be counted when applying for a Stamp 5:

  • Stamp 1.

  • Stamp 1G.

  • Stamp 3.

  • Stamp 4.

  • Stamp 4S.


When counting the stamps on applicant’s passport, the following stamps cannot be counted:

  • Stamp 4 EuFam.

  • Stamp 0.

  • Student – Stamp 2 or Stamp 2A.

  • Temporary Registered Doctor’s – Stamp 4.

  • Trainee Accountants – Stamp 1A.

  • Intra Company Transfer – Stamp 4.

  • Spouse or dependent of an Intra Company Transfer – Stamp 3.

  • Temporary visitors permission granted at the port of entry.

  • Cancelled Stamps.


Applicants should note that the above list of stamps are not the exhaustive lists for acceptable and unacceptable stamps.

Processing Time

Applications currently take a minimum of six months to process. Applications are processed as they come and considered in their merits.

Fast-Track Application

Track your application with the relevant department and liaise on your behalf.

Seamless Application Supports

Prepare files and manage immigration-related applications from start to finish for you.

Dedicated Account Manager

Access to the consultant on the phone for quick support without the barrier of a receptionist.

Fast Turnaround Time

Full-time focus to operate efficiently and effectively to deliver results on time.

Let us help with your application

We focus on delivering positive results to our clients and dedicate to offering quality services. 

An error occurred. Try again later

Thank you! Your request has been sent! One of our immigration experts will get back to you shortly.

Have questions?

Call us at +353 (01) 564 5342 or send us your request by filling in this form. One of our consultants reply shortly.


Yes, if you are currently outside Ireland you may be permitted to come to Ireland to work. You must check if you need immigration permission from the Department of Justice or an employment permit from the Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment to work before you travel or apply for a visa (if you are a visa required national).

In general, in order to come to Ireland to work a non-EEA national must hold a valid employment permit or immigration permission.

Employment permit
All first time applicants for employment permits must make their application while resident outside Ireland. The Irish employment permit system, including the processing of these applications, is operated by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment (DETE). Detailed information regarding the employment permit system can be found at the following link (DETE Employment Permit Information). If you are required to have an employment permit you must obtain a permit before you apply for a visa (if you are a visa required national) in order to travel to Ireland.

Atypical Working Scheme
Immigration permission under the Atypical Working Scheme is issued by the Department of Justice. Information on who is covered can be found here.

Working Holiday Authorisation Programme
Information on the Working Holiday Authorisation Programme can be found here. This programme allows young people to fund an extended holiday through temporary work. Only certain nationalities may avail of this programme. These programmes are currently suspended due to the COVID 19 pandemic.

Trainee Accountant
If you intend to come to Ireland to take up a position as a trainee accountant. Please click here for full details.

Minister of Religion
If you intend to travel to Ireland to work as a Minister of Religion, you will need preclearance approval before you travel. This applies to all Non EEA nationals whether you require a visa or not. Please click here for full details.

If you intend to travel to Ireland to Volunteer with an eligible body in Ireland, you will need preclearance approval before travel. This applies to all Non EEA nationals whether you require a visa or not. Please click here for full details.

Start up Entrepreneur Programme (STEP)
The start up entrepreneur programme (STEP) allows you to establish a business in Ireland and to work in the business on a full time basis. You are not permitted to be employed in any other capacity and you must not become a financial burden on the Irish State. You can find out more here.

Immigrant Investor Programme
The Immigrant Investor Programme (IIP) is open to non-EEA nationals who commit to an approved investment in Ireland. The IIP requires a minimum investment of €1 million, or €0.5 million (€500,000) if making an endowment, from applicant’s own resources and not financed through a loan or other such facility. You can find out more here.

A non-EEA national who is legally employed by a company in an EU country may be permitted to provide services on a temporary basis to a company in another EU country, including Ireland, on behalf of his/her employer without the need to obtain an employment permit.

This is permitted under the Van Der Elst process, for more information and conditions see here. You will still be subject to Irish immigration rules and may require a visa before coming to Ireland.

You may be permitted to come to Ireland to carry out a research project with an accredited research institution under the Scheme for Accreditation of Research Organisations (Hosting Agreement Scheme).

Detailed information on this scheme, including on how to apply and accredited organisations can be found via the following link (DETE Hosting Agreement Scheme).

The scheme allows for a period of between three months to five years, to carry out a research project with an accredited research institution. You do not require a separate employment permit under this scheme.

You must have successfully obtained a Hosting Agreement before you apply for a visa (if you are a visa required national) and undertake travel to Ireland.

If you are a visa required national you must apply for a visa before travelling to Ireland. Find out if you need a visa.

You can apply for all employment visa types up to 3 months before your date of travel to Ireland. You should apply for a visa as soon as possible after the granting of an employment permit/hosting agreement/immigration permission.

bottom of page